Grandma’s Chai Tea
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 green cardamom pods, crushed (use all seeds and 2 pods)
- ½ stick cinnamon bark
- 3 thin slices peeled ginger root (~ ½” round)
- 4 pieces lemon grass (~4” long)
- 2 black tea bags (not Chai, no added spices; if using loose tea leaves, 1 tea bag = 1 tsp tea leaves)
- 1 whole star anise (crushed)
- Bring all ingredients (except tea bags) together in a saucepan and heat to boiling on medium-high heat.
- Add tea bags and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Steep for 5 minutes.
- Reheat to boiling.
- Strain through strainer.
- Serve and add cream/sweetener to taste