- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef and /or pork, chicken, turkey
- 2 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 Tbsp leaf thyme OR 1 tsp powdered thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Grated cheddar cheese
- 5 large peppers:
- Use peppers with 4 points on the bottom, not those with 3 points. Those with 4 points are easier to cut in half and more stable once stuffed.
- Cut peppers in half, stem side up, core and seed.
- Steam pepper halves for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Meanwhile, brown meat; add onion and celery, cooking till soft.
- Add dices tomatoes, seasonings and cooked rice.
- Stuff meat/rice mixture into pepper halves.
- Top each pepper with a generous amount of grated cheese.
- Bake in 400˚oven till cheese is golden brown (approx. 20 minutes)