Kale and Sausage Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ pounds white or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 4-6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and shredded (substitute with Swiss Chard)
- 12 ounces sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (optional)
- 1 can of white beans (optional)
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes – cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add beans (optional).
- In a blender, puree half the soup. Return to pot.
- Add kale and sausage. Simmer until kale in wilted, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk if desired.