Homemade Shake and Bake Chicken
Going out for a picnic this summer? Or perhaps you want to grill some chicken on the BBQ? Rather than having fried chicken, why not try this homemade shake and bake recipe? This is my hubby’s recipe and it’s a winner every time. It’s light, crisp, flavorful and guilt-free. I love that this chicken isn’t deep-fried and yet is still crunchy. And like any good shake and bake chicken, it’s best eaten with your hands!
- 2 cups Panko (or regular bread crumbs)
- 1 ½ tbsp. Corn starch
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tbsp. Flour
- ½ tbsp. Celery Salt
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tbsp. Onion Powder
- ½ tbsp. Paprika
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Basil
- ¼ tsp Thyme
- ¼ tsp Oregano
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- Chicken pieces
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and stir in the oil. Do NOT omit the oil. The oil allows the coating to get crunchy.
- Place some of the coating in a plastic bag (Please note that this recipe makes a large amount of coating. Use only the amount required and save uncontaminated coating for future use or reduce recipe to half.).
- Place chicken pieces in the bag, one at a time and shake till coated.
- Bake chicken at 400˚ for 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165˚.
- Rest chicken for 10 minutes before eating.