French Onion Soup
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 5 medium red onions (about 3 pounds), halved and sliced thin
- 2 tsps minced fresh thyme or ½ tsp dried
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup red wine (our preference) or balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 baguette, sliced ½ inch thick, toasted
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded OR 8 slices (our preference)
- Oven-safe bowls
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions, thyme and ½ tsp of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are dark and sticky, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the wine (or balsamic vinegar) and scrape the browned crust from the pot.
- Stir in the chicken and beef broths and bay leaves.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 450˚, placing oven rack in the middle position.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, remove bay leaves.
- Arrange oven-safe bowls on a rimmed baking sheet and fill each with soup.
- Toast baguette slices.
- Top each bowl with 2 toasted baguette slices.
- Placed cheese slice on top or sprinkle each bowl with ¼ cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake until cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.